Saturday, November 17, 2007

What This Blog Is About

I intend this blog to be a rather tightly focused discussion of the following observation: despite the recent appearance of several interesting and articulate anti-god books, the number of religious people may be growing rather than shrinking. I believe that people are reading these books and attending lectures, and yet their faith remains unchanged. It is a challenge to understand this, but I do think I understand some of the reasons. One among many of the possible reasons is that the books so far have not properly engaged the thought processes needed to affect people's belief systems. I have some ideas on a different approach to atheism, and I have written these down in a short book entitled "If God Were a Space Alien: A Different Kind of Atheism". The book is online and free. You can find it here: If God Were a Space Alien. I really don't know whether this has any better chance than Harris, or Dawkins or Hitchens. But I am convinced that organized religion is a real and present danger in the world today, and I feel an obligation to do whatever I can to help address this problem. So this book, and this blog are my contribution to the effort. In subsequent posts, I intend to write down my thoughts regarding the tenacity of faith and what, if anything, can be done to release its grip.

No comments: